Walking Leader Training Level 2 enables you to lead a safe, enjoyable trek of no more than 2 hours, in daylight, on a number of specified, easy—moderate Coillte Trails and Fáilte Ireland Loops. The course comprises of a weekend of training and a follow up 4 walk leader task to try out your new skills.
The training weekend
The course will take place 9am-5pm on the Saturday and 9am-2pm on the Sunday. Lunch will be included on both days.
- Overview of Waymarked Walking Routes in Ireland
- Over view of Coillte Trails
- Overview of Fáilte Ireland Loops
- Assessing the suitability of the various routes for your group
- Planning and preparing for a trek
- Route risk assessment
- Walking gear
- Practical walk on 1 Fáilte Ireland Loop and 1 Coillte Trail
- Group management tactics
- Trekking/hiking shoes or boots
- Warm socks
- Rain jacket and leggings if possible
- Warm upper body clothing consisting of loose, light, layers including a wicking layer of polyester and a micro-fleece for warmth
- Hat and gloves
- Water bottle for treks
- Small snack for treks (fruit, cereal bar etc.)
- Mobile phone – fully charged
- Small rucksack
- Change of clothing/footwear
4 week leader challenge
The Leader Task is the second element of Community Walking Leader Training Level 2 and allows you to put your newly acquired skills to use. The Leader Task should be completed and the logbook returned within 3 months of attending the training course.
To complete your task you should lead/co-lead 4 walks on Coillte Trails or Fáilte Ireland Loops for a group of family, friends, neighbours, a community group or work colleagues. You can complete your task on your own or with another leader. You can plan and lead four separate walking sessions, or lead a programme of four walks. You can help out with an established group, create a new group or simply recruit some family and friends to practice on.
All courses are subject to demand and will only proceed if the minimum participant number is reached.
If you have any further questions please don’t hesitate to contact us by emailing email@example.com or calling Tara Curran at 01-6685001.